Meat Cutter Job Description
ADAMS FARM MEAT CUTTER JOB DESCRIPTION View as pdf>>
Job Title: Meat Cutter
Department: Processing Room
Reports To: Head Meat Cutter and Processing Room Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Date Prepared: 1/1/2021
Responsible for breaking down carcasses of beef, pigs, sheep and goats into cuts of steaks, roasts, sausage and ground meat based on company and/or customer specifications. Responsible for moving carcasses from the holding cooler to the cutting table and preparing work area.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Breaking down carcasses as instructed by a cut sheet or verbal communication
- Maintaining the separation of customer product
- Ability to learn the names of cuts of meat and how to cut them to maximize return to the customer
- Ability to learn how to work safely with equipment like meat saws, slicers, grinders, and knives.
- Assisting other employees with moving meat for customer pick-ups
- Work as a team member and learn the skills to break down all carcasses into different cuts of meat and trim.
- Have good personal hygiene and be clean and neat in personal appearance.
- Adhere to company Safety Rules, Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Standard Sanitation Operating Procedures (SSOP).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work an 8 hour shift usually starting at 7:00 am
- Ability to read cut sheets and add/subtract numbers
- Ability to learn how to break down carcasses
- Experience in using knives to cut meat preferred
- Must be professional, honest, competent, and respectful
- Must be a team player and able to follow instructions
- Must be able to read rules and regulations
- Must have personal cleanliness and product sanitation skills
- Must be able to learn and implement appropriate sections of company safety rules, GMP, SSOP, SOP and HACCP programs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for up to 4 hours
- The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work area will be at a temperature of approximately 55 degrees F
- Work occasionally and for a limited time in the walk-in freezer/cooler with a low temperature of -1 degree F.
- Noise will be at a reasonable level when packaging machines are operating.
The above duties are not intended to be an “all-inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as may be required by management.