Butcher Job Description
ADAMS FARM BUTCHER JOB DESCRIPTION View as pdf>>
Job Title: Butcher
Department: Kill Floor
Reports To: Kill Floor manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Date Prepared: 1/1/2021
Responsible for the proper movement of live animals; skinning and cleaning carcasses, processing blood and offal, in a clean workspace in a manner that is prescribed in the Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Standard Sanitation Operating Procedures (SSOP) and following all company safety and other policies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be ready to start work at 7:00 am
- Ensure that live animals are handled and slaughtered as prescribed in the company’s Animal Welfare program.
- Ensure that all animals are skinned and cleaned as prescribed in the HACCP.
- Ensure that all SOP, GMP and SSOP’s are followed as related to the Kill Floor.
- Transfer product and hooks from Kill Floor to Holding Cooler and Holding Cooler to Kill Floor
- Act as a team member in learning and working on all different job stations on the Kill Floor
- Ensure the work area and kill floor are left in a clean condition before taking breaks and at the end of the day
- Clean Kill Floor at the end of the day as needed
- Sort and pack hides as required
- Ability to work with and hold a knife, hand saw and/or hooks for at least an 8 hour shift
- Ability to work an 8 hour shift and overtime as required starting at 7:00 am
- Some knowledge and experience with livestock, hunting or outdoor activities preferred.
- Professional, honest, competent, and respectful
- Must be a team player and able to follow instructions
- Must be able to read rules and regulations
- Must have personal cleanliness and product sanitation skills
- Must be able to learn and implement company safety rules, GMP, SSOP, SOP and HACCP programs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, listen or talk.
- The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift up to 60 poundsl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working on the Kill Floor, Livestock Holding Barn and hide storage area
- Have the ability to work within and be comfortable in all the slaughterhouse operations, with the expected smells and noise.
The above duties are not intended to be an “all-inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as may be required by management.